Friday, November 11, 2011

Sketches and lessons 2

Second design elective class whoohoo!

If I remember correctly the teacher was telling us something about cubism and the difference between art and illustration. I didn't quite understand how all this theory stuff was going to help in our projects or even future jobs and was pretty damn bored to be honest.


Scrolling aimlessly through my Facebook newsfeed while looking for something interesting to read proved futile so I went onto Youtube and there was a pretty hilarious spoof of magician David Blaine.
This led me to videos exposing David Blaine's (the real one) levitation trick.




(at 0.46 seconds you can see the shadow of his other foot on the ground)
And up next was Chris Angel's famous walking on water trick.



I may not be much of a cat but curiosity sure killed me that day.
My teacher caught me not paying attention in class and gave the typical "So what did I just say" question. As you've guessed, my answer was "uuuuuuhhhhhhhh". Well it was partly my fault for not being discreet about plugging in my earpiece so I kinda deserved it. I felt bad afterwords as it was really disrespectful so I went home and researched on cubism and all that stuff I missed out on.

Basically cubism is a form of art, which is mainly comprised of geometric shapes and is not supposed to look real, like the picture below.


There are also realism, surrealism and abstract art, just to name a few.

Here are some of my sketches I did at home. Forgive me for the shitty quality of the pictures, I had trouble scanning as I sketched in a rather thick book so it was pretty hard to hold the page down.

A chicken

A hip-hop chicken (yes i know the New Era and Nike logos are screwed up)


A random design
Another variation of the random design
A pair of shades
A rocket t-shirt

A muffin picture
Jared Leto's elbow tattoo (which I want to get)
A shoe
(which was supposed to look like this)
Another shoe
(which was supposed to look like this)
Yet another shoe
And the last shoe I sketched
Okay moral of the story: pay attention in class. And I really love shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment